Preparation Before Treatment
If you have recently been diagnosed, Dr Freeman and his team are here to help prepare you for your treatment. It is essential to address any oral issues before chemotherapy begins as it may not be possible to do so while in treatment. It is important to visit us at least 2 weeks prior to beginning chemotherapy for an exam and cleaning. This will help protect your teeth during cancer treatment.
Keep Your Mouth Healthy During Treatment
There is a lot you can do to keep your mouth healthy during chemotherapy. Once treatment begins, keep an eye out for sores and other changes in your mouth. It is also important to:
* Keep your mouth moist.
* Drink lots of water.
* Suck on ice chips.
* Use sugarless gum or sugar-free hard candy.
* Try a saliva substitute to help moisten your mouth.
* Clean your mouth, tongue and gums every day.
* Brush with an extra-soft toothbrush after meals.
* Use fluoride toothpaste.
* Don’t use mouthwashes containing alcohol.
* Choose foods that are good for you and easy to chew or swallow.
Before you begin treatment, schedule an appointment with Dr. Freeman at our Skokie, IL office.